WIP week 7

Thank you for the comment Donald. It gives me a little more confidence that I'm starting to "see" what feels right or wrong with composition :P

p.s. I also have a question, that can be answered in class, about texture. For this project for example, I have a castle, with brick/stone walls, tiles for the roofs... They are very small and secondary. I would like to know how you would deal with this kind of rendering.

It feels insane to paint this brick by brick, tile by tile, each is so small and too many. But I can't do "nothing" either, right? The same would apply with the trees/foliage in the scene. Other teacher would say "photo-bash it! find a texture photo of what you want and integrate it", but as an illustrator, I'd really like to hear what"s YOUR answer :P

Here's the new sketch :


Comments

  1. I would certainly photo bash or create a series 3-4 simple tiles or bricks and duplicate them just to see how it would work with the main elements. If it attracts too much attention I would try to see if I could simplify the texture by reducing the amount of tiles for example. Let's say a given surface has a realistic 30 x 10 tiles: what would happen if you'd do it with 27 x 8 tiles? 25 x 6 ? Only people who know architecture will notice that it is off in terms of proportions. Of course it's a lot of work to paint it all by hand but it has more chance to fit the rest of your image and remember that using photos brings you other kind of problems that can take a while to adjust to make the whole image right (incorrect lighting, too much details within every shapes...) Having all of these hand painted means you just have to create one texture for each different materials and duplicate those to apply on the other surfaces.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WIP

Comments please!

Project precisions